COCO 2012 Accomplishments
- Held monthly “BlueDrinks!” Ocean Networking Event.
- Interviewed by several local media and national bloggers.
- Participated on the Eco Action Panel on Water at the Colorado Environmental Film Festival and had a table at the festival’s Eco Expo.
- Established Making WAVES 2012 Planning Committee.
- Presented at the One-Action-One Boulder Community Forum at the Boulder International Film Festival.
- Established relationship with San Francisco Ocean Film Festival.
- Contracted grant-writing and Strategic Plan consultants.
- Established relationship with middle-school educational program Rakefish, supporting their U.S. tour and laying foundation for their participation in Making WAVES.
- Recipient of the 20th Annual Microbreweries for the Environmental Grant and manned a COCO info table at the event at Boulder Theater.
- Completed the first COCO Operations Grant Proposal.
- COCO was invited to participate in the May 4 launch of theBlu in New York City. TheBlu is a free downloadable app about the ocean created by artists around the world. COCO’s logo was features on the Times Square NASDAQ and Thomson Reuters video screens.
- Completed COCO Strategic Plan.
- Assisted the Boulder Watershed Middle School in their Makin’ Waves spring term project in California. At conclusion, students hosted tables at Patagonia, Ideal Market, and REI sharing info with the public on COCO and plastic pollution.
- Testified at Boulder City Council meeting supporting plastic bag ban.
- CU summer interns began.
- Held COCO Four Mile Creek Clean Up.
- Spoke at the Benchley Awards in San Francisco; 5 other COCO members attended.
- Celebrated World Oceans Day in collaboration with Teens4Oceans at the Boulder Farmers’ Market with an information table and interactive activities.
- Hosted reception and first screening of Ocean Frontiers film in an inland community at the Dairy Center for the Arts. Over 200 people attended, including county commissioners and two of the film’s producers who flew in for the event. Panel discussion held afterwards.
- CU intern completed first COCO video.
- Hosted the film “Otter 501″ at the Bodecker Theater. Held post-film live SKYPE discussion with producer Mark Shelly.
- COCO volunteer completed Making WAVES 2011 You Tube Video.
- COCO hosted a table at the USA Pro Cycling Challenge Sustainability Expo in Golden.
- COCO Volunteer Coordinator came on board.
- CU fall intern began.
- COCO was a signatory of 60 Ocean Leaders Message to Presidential Candidates requesting support of the National Ocean Plan.
- COCO hosted table at Weavers Dive Shop in conjunction with the Boulder Dive Show drawing attendees from around the world.
- Presented at Fairview High School’s Net Zero Club on COCO and plastic pollution.
- Edward James of RPW completed pro bono COCO PSA video promoting Making WAVES.
- Held Making WAVES 2012 with over 1000 attendees, 50 volunteers and 25 speakers from around the country, featuring Jean-Michel Cousteau. Weekend of events included: Film Festival, luncheon and panel on European Oceans, full-day symposium, and evening fundraising gala and celebration.
- Presented at Bioneers Annual Conference.
- Wrote book review of Going Blue: A Teen Guide to Saving Out Oceans & Waterways by Cathryn Berger Kaye, M.A., Phillipe Cousteau, and EarthEco International. Review published in CU Children, Youth and Environments Journal.
- Keynote speaker at the Shark Bait Dive Club and Colorado Underwater Photographic Society holiday party in Denver.
- Spoke at a CU Community Leadership Forum on “Reflections On the Thrills and Challenges of Being an Activist.”
COCO Event Highlight: Making WAVES in Colorado, October 20 – 21, Boulder.
Celebrating COCO’s two year anniversary, COCO held Making WAVES in Colorado, a weekend of ocean events that brought together prominent ocean scientists, activists, educators, and artists with members of the local community. Over 1000 people attended the weekend of events.
Making WAVES 2013 included:
Film Festival selections throughout the afternoon and evening from the prestigious San Francisco Ocean Film Festival. Followed by reception.
European Ocean Panel and Luncheon on the status of Europe’s oceans and marine policies and why they matter to the international community. Speakers included:
- Jean-Michel Cousteau, ocean explorer and activist, Ocean Futures Society
- Louie Psihoyos, Academy-Award winning director “The Cove,” Ocean Preservation Society (Psihoyos showed a preview of his new film)
- Dr. Greg Stone, Chief Scientist for Oceans, Conservation International
- Shawn Heinrichs, Filmmaker and marine conservationist, Blue Sphere Media
Symposium – Day-long series of speakers and events for kids and adults with notable presenters including Jean-Michel Cousteau; Jim Toomey, cartoonist of the syndicated comic strip Sherman’s Lagoon; David Helvarg, author of 50 Ways to Save the Ocean; Dan Basta, Director of NOAA’s National Marine Sanctuary Program; Dr. Susan Shaw, CEO of Marine Environmental Research Institute; and Wallace J. Nichols, founder of Blue Marble and Blue Mind.
Evening Ocean Fundraiser and Celebration – Live and silent auction, dancing, raising funds for COCO.
Underwater Photography Contest – sponsored by Colorado Underwater Photographic Society. Winning photos displayed the symposium.
Major 2012 Making WAVES sponsors included the Colorado Scuba Retailers Association; Colorado European Union Center for Excellence; National Marine Sanctuary Foundation; The Dairy Center for the Arts; CU Boulder Environmental Center; Patagonia; Green Apple Supply; One World One Ocean; Ocean First Divers; 303 Vodka; The Infinite Monkey Theorem; Stone Brewery; and The Spice of Life.
Radio and Media
All events were covered in numerous local media.
Nico Dann audio interview with Vicki.